Best Repair Shop in Los Angeles for Fixing Ball Joint Failure in a BMW 3 Series
BMWs provide drivers with a smooth ride, great fuel economy, and low emissions. They offer sports performance while being comfortable. To keep your BMW running properly, it is important to stay current with regular maintenance. The suspension in your BMW sees a lot of wear and tear, and over time, the ball joint can fail if not taken care of properly.
What is a ball joint?
The ball joint is part of the front suspension system. It is the pivot point that attaches the suspension system to the wheels. The ball joint is a critical component that aids in navigating the roads.
If the ball joint were to fail, the wheels would be able to move freely and uncontrolled by the steering wheel. This could be disastrous and cause an accident. The tires typically turn outward, causing extensive damage to the fender.
Symptoms of a Failing Ball Joint
Ball joints can wear out over time. If they are damaged, it is dangerous to drive your car. You can often tell if there is a problem because the ride will become rough and you may hear strange noises. If you experience any of the following symptoms, schedule an appointment today.
- Uneven Tire Wear: Tires are supposed to wear down evenly. If they are not, this could be due to a defective ball joint. It may also be a sign that your car is out of alignment.
- Knocking and Clunking Noises: Knocking noises are the most common sign of a ball joint failure. A worn ball joint will become loose in its socket. This leads to clunking noises when driving on rough roads and making turns.
- Steering Wheel is Loose: A worn-out ball joint can cause your steering wheel to become loose. If your BMW is properly aligned, the steering wheel should not wander back and forth on its own. A wandering steering wheel can be dangerous because it can make it hard to keep your car heading straight.
- Vibrations: A Failing ball joint can also cause your BMW to vibrate. The vibrations are caused by the ball joint being loose in the socket. The vibration can often be felt in the steering wheel and only comes from one side of the vehicle.
Common Causes of Ball Joint Failure
Over time, ball joints can wear out and fail. They experience a lot of abuse on the road. Below are the most common causes of ball joint failure.
- Everyday Wear and Tear: Normal everyday wear and tear is the main reason for ball joint failure. Staying current on maintenance and keeping the joints properly lubricated will aid in extending their life span. Roads that are rough and full of potholes put stress on the ball joints leading to premature failure. Hitting curbs can also cause damage.
- Damaged Seals: As seals age, they can dry out and crack. A faulty seal cannot keep oil in and debris out. The oil is needed to keep the joint lubricated. If dirt and debris is allowed to enter, it can damage the ball joint.
- The Environment: The environment can play a major role in vehicle component failures. During extremely hot days, the oil can dry up. In rainy weather and high humidity, the steel can be damaged, and joints can break.
About Complete Automotive Systems
At Complete Automotive Systems, we are a full-service automotive facility. We specialize in European vehicles. Don’t waste your money taking your BMW to a dealership for service. We can do the same quality work at a portion of the cost.
Our technicians are factory certified and knowledgeable and our service center is equipped with the same state-of-the-art equipment at dealerships. The difference is we can do your work faster and at less expense to you.
Schedule Your Service Today
If you are in the Beverly Hills, Culver City, Brentwood, or Santa Monica, CA areas and are experiencing ball joint failure in your BMW, give us a call or stop by our conveniently-located service center. Our mechanics are experts at what we do and can quickly diagnose your problem. When you come to Complete Automotive Systems, you will receive the best service to get you back on the road safely and quickly.